PSA: Anytime you decide you want to try a new recipe, don’t only look at the ingredients; look at the steps required as well.
I wanted to do something with chocolate this week, so I found this recipe for chocolate truffle cookies, which honestly sounded amazing. The only specialty ingredient this recipe requires is unsweetened chocolate, to which I don’t think the average person keeps in their cupboard.
You need to chill the dough for a minimum of 3 hours before you bake these cookies. If you do it too long, you might end up bending a spoon in the process.
These cookies will be pretty small when baked. They’ll be about 2″ in diameter. I’m guessing these are meant to be bite-sized like an actual truffle.
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa (unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)
- In a microwave, melt 1 cup chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate and butter; stir until smooth*. Cool 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl**, beat sugar and eggs 2 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into chocolate mixture.
- Stir in remaining chocolate chips. Refrigerate, covered, until firm enough to handle, at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. With lightly floured hands, shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until lightly puffed and set, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
*I microwaved everything in a bowl for about 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each run to make sure the chocolate mixture was smooth.
**This is where you would use your stand mixer, or a large bowl with a hand mixer.
One thought on “Week 16: Chocolate Truffle Cookies”
These are great looking cookies.
LikeLiked by 1 person