Little did I know what I was getting myself into, considering the amount of time required for these cookies. This wasn’t labor-intensive, it just took a lot of time overall. After the dough is made, you need to refrigerate it for 2 hours, and right before you bake them, they need to go in the freezer for 20 minutes.
This is a recipe that definitely benefits from having a stand mixer, but I can say that about all the recipes I’ve made so far.
Also, if you decide to do this recipe on your own, make sure you have several cookie sheets, a roller, and some actual cookie cutters. I made the mistake of not having prepared for the latter, so my cookies were round. The only cookie cutter I had was a coffee cup.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of one orange
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 20 ounces dark or white melting chocolate
- Dough roller
- Cookie cutters
FOR SHORTBREAD COOKIE:
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment until fluffy. Add egg whites, vanilla extract, and orange zest
and mix on medium speed until egg whites are incorporated.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, until just mixed.
- Shape into a ball and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- Roll dough on floured surface into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle.
- Cut into twelve Mickey Mouse-shaped cookies using a cookie cutter that is 3.7 inches tall and 3.95 inches wide. Place 6 cookies on each prepared baking sheet. Chill in freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, until edges of cookies begin to brown.
- Cool on wire racks for 30 minutes.
FOR CHOCOLATE TOPPING:
- Melt dipping chocolate in medium bowl in microwave according to package instructions.
- Dip shortbread cookies in melted chocolate or white chocolate making sure to cover the top and sides of the cookie.
- Set on wire racks and cool for 15 minutes, until chocolate is set.